Monday, March 25, 2013

We Are Family


Radha's daughter Karthika Nair (left) and Kamal Haasan's daughter Shruti Haasan (right)
Radha's daughter Karthika Nair (left) and Kamal Haasan's daughter Shruti Haasan (right)
Children of film stars often don't always look inside their homes for inspiration. Star kids are now looking beyond their parents for other role models and mentors.
A number of film stars will see their children debut on the silver screen this year, and it is no surprise that the young breed is raring to go. Having watched their parents win fame and fan affection, they are their closest role models. But there are other young guns for whom the world of cinema and people outside the immediate family provide inspiration and example.
Vikram Prabhu sought the blessings of Ajith and Rajinikanth prior to the release of his film, ‘Kumki’. Shanthanoo Bhagyaraj insisted that his mother, Poornima Bhagyaraj (an actress from yesteryear) make her comeback with Vijay's ‘Jilla’ -Shanthanoo is a huge fan of Vijay.
Role models for young actors these days are not stars from their own families alone. Being exposed to the world of cinema on their own terms is helping them create ideals and role models of their own. “It would be really weird for me to pick just one person who's inspired me,” says Shruti Haasan.
“There are some immensely hard-working people in this industry that I call my family.
My parents too belong to this film fraternity, and I've grown up with them, and I have to thank my parents for giving me a very humble upbringing. I went to school on a school bus, had non-filmi friends. And when I went to America, being Kamal Haasan's daughter didn't have much of an impact.”
Being an individual has helped her carve a niche for herself, she points out. “It was important I carried myself without that price tag, and that has definitely helped me become the person I am,” she says.
Having grown up watching her father on the big screen, it was but obvious for Aishwarya Arjun, daughter of Action King Arjun, to make her entry into the film industry now. But has the pressure of carrying her pressure of carrying father's name hit her yet?
“Your work will always be compared with that of your parents, and you have to live up to the name. But then again, I am trying not to take the pressure too seriously,” says Aishwarya. She also realises how important it is to have a mentor in the industry, and who can be better than one's own father? “I have grown up watching his films, so it is natural for my dad to advise me and share his experience about the film fraternity,” says Aishwarya who is all set to make her debut opposite Vishal in ‘Pattathu Yaanai’.
While some might be ready to face the world, there are still those who believe in finding inspiration at home. Karthika Nair who made her Malayalam debut with ‘Makaramanju’ in 2011 had her actress mother Radha coach her. Did Radha feel the need to be there with her daughter at all times? “The time when we were actors was different,” says Radha. “Even for ‘Makaramanju’, I ensured I was there for my daughter when she needed me. Being the youngest amongst the team, her character required a certain maturity and launching my daughter in an arty film was an even bigger challenge.
I encouraged her and briefed her because it was a substantial role she had received early in her career.”

No comments:

Post a Comment